Some people may say what is the point of shampoo? Conditioner alone works for me. This is far from the truth!
A clean scalp is necessary for healthy hair, especially curly hair. Clarifying, Cleansing and Co-washing are the three C's of key methods that help promote healthy curly hair.
The question that everyone asks is when do I cleanse? When do I clarify? How do I co-wash? The simple answer is that there is no one-size-fits-all answer as everyone’s hair is different! Let's break it down.
Clarifying Shampoos: A Deep-Cleansing Powerhouse
Clarifying shampoos are specifically made to provide a deep cleanse by removing product buildup, excess oils and impurities that collect on the hair and scalp over time. They have a higher amount of surfactants compared to regular shampoos, allowing them to properly cleanse and clarify the hair.
You may still be asking but how does clarifying shampoos benefit curly hair? Here’s why….
- Removing Buildup: Curly hair texture is more vulnerable to product buildup, due to heavy conditioners, styling gels, and oils. Clarifying shampoos help get rid of this buildup, allowing your curls to breathe again and regain their natural bounce.
- Restoring Volume and Definition: After a while, residue front styling products and pollution in the environment can weigh down your curls, making them lose volume and definition. Clarifying shampoos help lift away these impurities, bringing back your curl's natural shape, bounce and vibrancy.
- Preparing for Special Treatments: If you plan to carry out chemical treatments, such as colouring or perming, using a clarifying shampoo before helps create a clean canvas for the treatment, It removes barriers that may affect the penetration of chemicals, making it more effective.
Cleansers: Gentle Cleansing for Curly Hair
Unlike clarifying shampoos, cleansers offer a softer cleansing experience for curly hair. Here are some of the key features and benefits of cleansers for curly hair:
- Maintaining Moisture Balance: Curly hair is usually drier compared to other hair types due to its structure, which makes it harder for natural oils to travel down the hair shaft. Cleansers are made to be less harsh on the hair, keeping the natural oils and moisture, which is very important for maintaining healthy, hydrated curls.
- Minimising Frizz and Damage: The gentle nature of cleansers helps reduce frizz and damage, which are common concerns for curly hair. By maintaining the hair’s moisture balance, prevent Extreme drying that can lead to frizz and breakage, promoting healthier/smoother curls.
Co-Washing: A conditioner washing is a conditioner which removes buildup allowing your hair to be cleansed whilst keeping the moisture. Here are only some of the benefits of Co-washing:
- Hydrate and Moisturise Hair: Curly hair needs moisturising formulas to prevent frizz and dryness. Effective co-washing uses conditioner-based formulas to gently cleanse and nourish hair, keeping moisture and preventing breakage. Regular shampoos contain detergents, which can take away of its natural moisture from hair, making co-washing an excellent choice for dry or curly hair.
- Saves Time and Money: Co-washing offers a time- and money-saving solution for simplifying hair care routines, as it reduces the use of two products and reduces steps, making it a cheaper and time-saving option.
- Promotes Healthy Hair Growth: Co-washing uses a gentle cleansing agent to remove dirt and buildup also making hair hydrated and nourished. This prevents breakage and damage, while stimulating blood flow, promoting hair growth and overall scalp health.
Choosing the Right Option for Your Curly Hair
When it comes to deciding between a clarifying shampoo and a cleanser for your curly hair, think of the current state of your hair, your styling routine, and your specific needs. If you can notice an increase in buildup or require a deep cleanse, a clarifying shampoo used sometimes or monthly can be beneficial but if you also want to maintain moisture balance, minimise frizz, and gently cleanse your hair without taking away essential oils, a cleanser can be your go-to choice for regular use.